Code Enforcement

Vacant Property Registration Information

In January 2014, Alliance City Council adopted Alliance Codified Ordinance Section 791.01, et seq. requiring registration of vacant, abandoned and/or foreclosed properties. The intention of the A.C.O. Section is to reduce and prevent neighborhood blight; to avoid the creation and continuance of public nuisances; to ameliorate conditions that threaten the public health, safety and welfare; to promote neighborhood stability and occupancy; and to maintain property values.

By registering your vacant, abandoned and/or foreclosed property with the City of Alliance, you are demonstrating your commitment to improving neighborhood conditions, protecting your investment and serving as an important part of the revitalization of Alliance.

Property Maintenance Code

"The BOCA National Property Maintenance Code, Fourth Edition 1993," as published by the Building Officials and Code Administrators International, Inc., is hereby adopted as the Property Maintenance Code of the City of Alliance. See Chapter 1369 of the Alliance Codified Ordinances.

This code is to protect the public health, safety, and welfare in all existing structures, residential and nonresidential, and on all existing premises by establishing minimum requirements and standards for premises, structures, equipment, and facilities for light, ventilation, space, heating, sanitation, protection from the elements, life safety, safety from fire and other hazards, and for safe and sanitary maintenance.

Code Enforcement Administrator

The Code Enforcement Administrator investigates complaints and conducts routine, systematic unit ratings throughout 31 defined sections of the city. Properties that are found in violation are sent a violation notice referencing the ordinance that is in violation, time frame for compliance, and right to appeal. Any questions regarding a violation notice should be directed to the contact person shown on the notice.

Please be advised that before beginning any repairs or renovations, you should contact the Building Department at (330) 823-5122 for permit requirements, fees, and information.

Phone: (330)829-2235

Email: Email Tatiana Crockett

Other: Report a Problem

Unit Ratings

The purpose of this process is to promote the health, safety, and welfare of the residents and landowners in the City of Alliance by establishing a system of unit ratings and conducting citywide inspections. See Chapter 771 of the Alliance Codified Ordinances - established 2008.

Tall Grass & Weed Complaints

Chapter 1741; all premises and exterior property shall be maintained free from weeds, tall grasses, or vines. Plant growth in excess of 10 inches shall be deemed a nuisance of the City of Alliance.

Tall Grass & Weeds Ordinance 17-14 (PDF)

The City of Alliance is now providing a list of "Chronic Violators" of the City mowing regulations. The primary purpose is to afford certain concerned residents an easier and quicker way to be assured that the City is aware of a specific property that hasn’t been mowed as required. If the property you are concerned about is on the list, we’re watching it. If it’s not, you may report a property that is not being mown as required by City ordinance using any of the following: 

A "Chronic Violator" is a property where the City of Alliance was required to cut the tall grass and/or weeds on two or more occasions in 2019 (Section 1741.03(e) of the Alliance Codified Ordinances). Chronic violators have already been notified that a violation in 2019 will result in abatement mowing by the City without any additional notice by the City.

If you are reporting a property that isn’t classified as a chronic violator, please understand the process is a little slower in terms of when we can actually mow. After receiving a complaint, the City has to visit the property and verify it is in violation (growth is 10 inches high or greater). Once verified, the City must send the owner notice of their violation and allow them five (5) days to correct the violation.

When the City has to perform the mowing of a property due to neglect, the property owner is responsible for all costs and fees incurred. The minimum cost is $150.00 per parcel for each abatement mowing by the City. Typically, the City completes two mowings each year, for a minimum cost to negligent property owners of $300.00. If the property owner fails to pay, the mowing fees are assessed to the property owner’s property taxes through the Stark County Auditor’s Office, plus there is an additional $50.00 assessment fee.

The City takes action against these unattended properties as it becomes aware of them through its weekly inspections, but the program is improved by information provided from residents. Together, we are making a difference in the many problems caused by non-responsible property owners and we thank you for your interest and participation.

Garbage & Rubbish

Chapter 937; The City of Alliance has a mandatory citywide garbage, rubbish and recycling collection ordinance which requires all residential consumers to subscribe to the city’s current contractor which is Kimble Companies, formerly known as J&J Refuse. Contact Kimble at (800) 201-0005.

Please note: Each refuse container and recycling bin placed at the curb or designated alley pick-up location and each other item set out for collection, shall be placed at the pick-up location no earlier than 24 hours prior to the regular date for collection in the neighborhood as established by Kimble Companies; and the containers shall be removed from the required location within 24 hours after the collection has taken place. (See Alliance Codified Ordinances Section 937.03(c)).

Violations of these ordinances can result in fines of up to $100 for each day of violation.

Assistance Programs

  • Housing Rehab - Contact Jill Ross with Stark County Regional Planning at (330) 451-7399.
  • United Way - Dial 211 from a local land-line phone.
  • Mission Encounter - This is a cooperative effort by six area churches that help with basic exterior home improvements.

Contact the city’s housing specialist for more information.